Friday, September 24, 2010

"Are...you...from Dixie...

.....I said from Dixie (are you clapping and singing along with me?)...where the fields of cotton beckon to me....It's good to see ya, and say "how be ya" and the friends we're longing to see...." and yes, I'm from Dixie and mighty proud of it. Joyce and I ventured over to the "Rebelette Reunion Open House" yesterday, part of the Centennial Celebration of Dixie College (and Dixie High School as they were all together in the beginning) and it was fun to see the memorabilia, some old scrap books and meet with a few "hometowners" that were also a part of this legacy we call "Dixie". It's amazing this institution has been around for 100 years and it's been fun reminiscing the last little while about how much a part of my life it has been. I love living here in this corner of the world.
There have been times that I have wanted to live other places and times that I actually have lived other places but I'm always homesick for "here"....my home. I hate the heat in the summer, but I love the mild winters and the coming and going of the seasons. I love the color, the sunsets, the blue in the sky, the red mountains and the fact that we're pretty centrally located to a lot of great scenery and "wonders of the world". I'm proud of the legacy of this community and I'm grateful for the support of the people I know and love that also call Dixie "home".
Dixie State College has been good to my family and good for my family as we have all started our educations here. I'm going to enjoy this centennial celebration and know that this really is my "Stars Hollow"...my sense of community as we all come together united to cheer Dixie State College on to whatever might be in her future.

4 comments:

Camie said...

I love that bottom picture and I love how rooted you are in that place.

S. said...

Thanks for the heads up on your blog. Lots of fun, fun reading. Enjoyed the picture of you and Charlie. I sent it on to his girls...they will love it.

Good to see you tonight.

joycew said...

I feel exactly the same way...thanks for putting it so well. That was a fun day at the Rebelette Reunion and I, too, will always treasure my Dixie College memories.

Staheli said...

Loved it, love you, and I love that picture of my beautiful princess mom!